Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I was not an Asparagus Lover until I tried this French Renaissance recipe! It is simple to make with ingredients on hand and adds a bit of change to fresh asparagus! I have also added crumbled bacon to jazz it up!
- 2 lbs fresh green asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 eggs (at room temp, important)
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded cheese (your favorite flavor)
- Cut off each asparagus spear 2 3/4 inches from the end of each tip. Keep the stalks for another use.
- Cook the asparagus tips for 7 minutes in boiling salted water and then drain. Discard the water and return the asparagus to the saucepan; add the butter and roll the tips around in it.
- Bring some water to a boil in another saucepan and put in the eggs. Boil for 5 minutes, refresh under running water. Shell the eggs.
- Divide the asparagus tips between 4 plates. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and place an eggs in the center of each plate. Serve immediately.
- To eat, break the eggs with a fork; the yolks will run out and coat the asparagus. Add pepper to taste.
I cooked the asparagus with green onions, mushrooms, wine, and olive oil. I over cooked the egg but it was still very soft inside even though I didn't peel it very well. My family said they weren't so sure about it but they cleaned their plates. It doesn't sound like it would be good but we loved it! I don't want asparagus any other way now. Thanks for posting!
This was ordered by our girls-nt-out group at a wine bar ~ I thought it sounded strange...until I tasted it! Amazing mix of flavors! Our asparagus was roasted with OOil & garlic, then the asparagus and egg were topped with parmesan ~ yummmmm!