Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this on the back of a tag for the Majesty asparagus I had picked up at the market. It was really enjoyable, and so easy to prepare, so I thought I ought to share! I used my blender, so I roughly chopped some of the bigger ingredients (asparagus, pecans) before putting them in, but from what I have heard of the mightiness of the food processor, you might be good to go without doing so. Use your knowledge of your tools to decide how you want to approach it :) I have also successfully served this over gluten free pasta (brown rice penne).
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, roughly chopped
- 3 fresh basil leaves or 3 a dash dried basil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 garlic clove, raw
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces spaghetti or 8 ounces egg noodles
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. When ready, drain and then toss with remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Meanwhile, combine asparagus, basil, Parmesan cheese, garlic, pecans, and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Serve asparagus pesto over prepared pasta.
Fantastic - I was surprised how good this was, and quick to make. Very fresh tasting with the raw asparagus!
This was okay and great for a busy rainy day but I felt it was missing something -- maybe more garlic -- not sure. I skipped the nuts and used fat-free blue cheese instead of the parmesan, so it may have been that. Thanks for sharing!
Starry, this is a wonderful spring pasta recipe!!!! It tastes so fresh and yummy that I really couldnt stop eating! :) I luved the ease of preparation and the wonderful layers of flavour all the different ingredients added to this dish. I made a few slight changes due to what I had on hand: Used cashews instead of pecans and left out the oil as I blanched the asparagus before blending. This will be made time and time again in our house! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this smashing recipe with us! Made and reviewed for New Kids On The Block Tag Game May 2010.