Recipe by Hal Taylor
A different way to use that wonderful veggie when it is so abundant at this time of year. Easy to make and makes a good side dish. This came from TASTE - a magazine put out by the British Columbia Liquor Control Board. I want to keep it safe.
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fresh chives, finely sliced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cups asparagus, blanched and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the first six ingredients in a bowl to make a batter.
- Just before frying, fold in chives, dill and asparagus.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pan with 1/4 inch of oil.
- Test a drop of batter in the oil - if it sizzles it is ready.
- Using two spoons, drop a dollop of the mix into the oil, bringing it together into a round shape.
- Enjoy !