Have not tried this yet but after a recent trip to the east coast I fell in love with crab cakes and this looks like an amazing variation! Originally from epicurious.com.
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons bottled Thai fish sauce (nam pla) or 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 6 ounces canned crabmeat, drained, picked over, patted dry
- 3 ounces bay shrimp, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh breadcrumbs, made from crustless french bread or 1 1⁄2 cups storebought breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons peanut oil
- Blend first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Mix in crabmeat, shrimp and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
- Season with pepper.
- Place remaining 1 cup breadcrumbs on plate.
- Drop 1/4 of crab mixture into breadcrumbs; turn to coat.
- Shape into 2 1/2-inch-diameter cake.
- Repeat coating and shaping with remaining crab mixture and crumbs, forming total of 4 cakes.
- Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add cakes and sauté until crisp, about 5 minutes per side.