Recipe by Mercy
A smashed tater recipe using wasabi, chili garlic sauce and sesame oil, from Martin Yan.
- 2 lbs red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 teaspoons wasabi powder, mixed with
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan with salt and enough water to barely cover.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return to pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat milk until warm.
- Add wasabi paste, chili garlic sauce, and pepper; whisk to evenly blend.
- Add milk mixture to potatoes.
- Using a potato masher, mash until potatoes absorb liquid; potatoes should remain lumpy.
- Add butter and sesame oil; stir until butter melts.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.