Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I got this recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray and "30 Minute Meals".
Make and share this Arugula and Walnut Pesto with Penne recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 3 cloves cracked garlic
- 12 ounces arugula, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces or 1⁄2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or grated
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 lb penne rigate (with lines)
- 1⁄3 lb fresh green beans, cut into thirds
- In a small saucepan over medium heat cook garlic in oil 5 minutes, then remove pan from stove top.
- Fill the food processor with arugula, loosely packed.
- Add walnuts and 1/2 of the warm oil and all 3 cloves of garlic to the arugula in the processor.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to the processor bowl, set lid in place and pulse grind the mixture into a thick paste.
- Add any remaining arugula to the processor and grind into the paste by pulsing the processor again.
- Transfer arugula paste to a large pasta bowl.
- Stir in the remaining oil and the cheese.
- Taste pesto sauce and adjust seasonings.
- While cooking penne to package directions for al dente, watch the time.
- After about 6 minutes, add green beans to the pasta pot.
- The beans will cook along with pasta the last 2 or 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta and beans together in a colander then transfer hot pasta and beans to the pasta bowl with the pesto in the bottom.
- Toss pasta and beans with pesto for 2 to 3 minutes to combine and evenly coat the pasta and beans with the pesto sauce.
- Serve immediately.
We loved the subtle flavor of this pesto! Subtle in a great way. I would serve this at a dinner party. I didn't make any changes. It's perfect as is!
This recipe says to use all of the 'pesto' for one pound of pasta. Way too much pesto. And the taste was, well, not something I'd make again. And, we love argula, so that wasn't the problem.
yummy arugula and walnuts, can't get much better. and so quick and easy. i omitted the green beans, and used perciatelli instead. very good recipe