I got this recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray and "30 Minute Meals".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 3 cloves cracked garlic
- 12 ounces arugula, stems removed
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces or 1/2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or grated
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 lb penne rigate (with lines)
- 1/3 lb fresh green beans, cut into thirds
- 1In a small saucepan over medium heat cook garlic in oil 5 minutes, then remove pan from stove top.
- 2Fill the food processor with arugula, loosely packed.
- 3Add walnuts and 1/2 of the warm oil and all 3 cloves of garlic to the arugula in the processor.
- 4Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to the processor bowl, set lid in place and pulse grind the mixture into a thick paste.
- 5Add any remaining arugula to the processor and grind into the paste by pulsing the processor again.
- 6Transfer arugula paste to a large pasta bowl.
- 7Stir in the remaining oil and the cheese.
- 8Taste pesto sauce and adjust seasonings.
- 9While cooking penne to package directions for al dente, watch the time.
- 10After about 6 minutes, add green beans to the pasta pot.
- 11The beans will cook along with pasta the last 2 or 3 minutes.
- 12Drain pasta and beans together in a colander then transfer hot pasta and beans to the pasta bowl with the pesto in the bottom.
- 13Toss pasta and beans with pesto for 2 to 3 minutes to combine and evenly coat the pasta and beans with the pesto sauce.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Penne Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Penne Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Arugula and Walnut Pesto with Penne
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 836.0
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 201.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 23.9 g