Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray and "30 Minute Meals".
Make and share this Arugula and Walnut Pesto with Penne recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 3 cloves cracked garlic
- 12 ounces arugula, stems removed
- 1⁄2 cup walnut pieces or 1⁄2 cup walnut halves, toasted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground or grated
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 lb penne rigate (with lines)
- 1⁄3 lb fresh green beans, cut into thirds
- In a small saucepan over medium heat cook garlic in oil 5 minutes, then remove pan from stove top.
- Fill the food processor with arugula, loosely packed.
- Add walnuts and 1/2 of the warm oil and all 3 cloves of garlic to the arugula in the processor.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to the processor bowl, set lid in place and pulse grind the mixture into a thick paste.
- Add any remaining arugula to the processor and grind into the paste by pulsing the processor again.
- Transfer arugula paste to a large pasta bowl.
- Stir in the remaining oil and the cheese.
- Taste pesto sauce and adjust seasonings.
- While cooking penne to package directions for al dente, watch the time.
- After about 6 minutes, add green beans to the pasta pot.
- The beans will cook along with pasta the last 2 or 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta and beans together in a colander then transfer hot pasta and beans to the pasta bowl with the pesto in the bottom.
- Toss pasta and beans with pesto for 2 to 3 minutes to combine and evenly coat the pasta and beans with the pesto sauce.
- Serve immediately.