Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I had such a hard time finding instructions on how to make plain artichokes, I thought that I would share. This is no thriller, but it is basic.
- In a large non reactive mixing bowl combine lemon juice and 6 cups water.
- Pour remaining water into large pot and bring to boil.
- You will need a steaming basket.
- To prepare artichokes ONE AT A TIME cut off stems, peel off outer leaves until yellow leaves show, cut off top 1 inch so that you can see the inner flower, place in bowl.
- (This keeps them from turning brown) When all are prepared, put them in steamer basket over pot and cover.
- They are done when fork tender.
Thank You!, I too was looking for a basic recipe. This was it. I do like to use a mayo based dip for them. I season my mayo for whatever mood I'm in at the time. (a little curry, chili power, or soy, just use your imagination...)
My mind went blank today on how to just basically cook an artichoke....I usually have really small ones and either stuff and bake or grill them. I got a great deal on some larger globe artichokes and was at a loss as to how to proceed and didn't want to wreck them by doing them badly. Anyway, this is a great basic recipe though I did cut down on the lemon juice and found 1/2 cup was enough to keep them from turning brown. They were delicious. Thanks KookieMomster!
Thank you so much for the recipe, i love artichokes but had no idea how to cook, thanks KookieMomster.