This recipe won the Fresh Artichoke recipe contest in Castroville California and was created by Julia Perez Magana.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cups trimmed cooked and diced artichoke hearts (not marinated)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large eggs
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese or 2 cups cheddar cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until done; drain grease.
- Add olive oil to sausage. Add onion, garlic and jalapeno; cook until onion is soft. Add tomatoes and artichokes; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add eggs and cook, stirring until eggs are done.
- Heat tortillas (on a griddle, if possible). Fill middle of each tortilla with artichoke mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold ends, then roll up tortilla.