Recipe by MechanicalJen
Wow! These are soo good! If you happen to have these ingredients lying around, you should really try these. You won't be sorry!
- 4 pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 fresh jalapeno
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, bruised
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 whole cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel pears, taking care to take as little flesh as possible. Leave stalk intact. If necessary, cut a thin slice from the base of each pear so it will stand upright. Place in large bowl and pour over the lemon juice with enough water to cover the bears.
- Pour honey into a large pan with a lid. Add chile, star anise, cinnamon stick, lemongrass, ginger, cloves, bay leaves and water. Bring to a boil, ten reduce and simmer, stirring occsionally for 5 minutes, until honey has dissolved.
- Drain pears and place in the pan. Bring (almost) to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with lid.
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until pears are tender. remove pan from heat and let pears cool in the syrup. When cool, remove from pan and place in a serving dish.
- Return the syrup to hte heat and bring to a boil. Boil for 5-8 minutes, or until reduced by half and syrup has thickened. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then pour over the pears and serve.