Recipe by KathyP53
Great appetizer that incorporates a whole pepper surrounded by a cheesy sausage dough that baked and browned in the oven.
- 20 whole jalapeno peppers (canned, can also use pepperoncini peppers)
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 lb ground mild pork sausage
- 2 cups baking mix
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (6 ounce) package Shake-n-Bake for pork
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut a slit lengthwise on one side of peppers, leaving other side intact; remove seeds. Stuff each pepper with about 2 teaspoons sharp cheddar cheese. Pinch edges to close; set aside.
- Combine remaining 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, sausage, and baking mix.
- Pinch off about 2 rounded tablespoons of dough; shape into a 1/4" thick patty. Place a pepper in center of patty, and wrap dough around pepper. Dip in egg; dredge in seasoned coating mix. Place on a lightly greased 15 x 10" jelly roll pan. Repeat with remaining dough and peppers; cover and chill up to 2 hours, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden.