Recipe by Celeste :)
You won't have to say "cheese" to make your kids smile once they sample this lunch look-alike.
- 1 store-bought butter pound cake (Entenmann's brand reccomended)
- 1 cup buttercream frosting (canned is just fine) or 1 cup white frosting (canned is just fine)
- yellow food coloring, and
- red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pound cake into bread-like slices and toast them in a toaster oven just until they turn golden brown. Once they've cooled for a few minutes, stack two slices for each sandwich and cut the stack in half diagonally (slicing the sandwich before you fill it makes for fewer crumbs).
- Now tint the frosting by stirring in a few drops of yellow and red food coloring (more yellow than red) to get a shade of orange that resembles American cheese.
- Carefully spread frosting between the slices of each half sandwich. If you mound the frosting on one slice, then top it with the other and gently press down, the frosting will ooze out a bit and look all the more like melted cheese. Makes one sandwich.