Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of my inventions and mighty proud of it, too. I don't know why I said that - maybe because we served this to about 30 residents this evening, and they all kept telling me how good it was & when were we going to have it again? Perhaps you too will like it! I did not include the marinating time in the timing of the recipe or the amount of time used for bringing chicken back up to room temperature.
- 6 chicken breasts, halved
- 1 cup apricot nectar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup sugar-free apricot preserves
- 3 tablespoons toasted pecans (optional)
- dried apricot, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken in an oven-proof pan large enough that the chicken will not overlap.
- Combine the nectar, allspice, ginger, salt, pepper and mustard, and pour over the chicken.
- Turning the chicken to get the marinade over all parts.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Discard the marinade.
- Salt & pepper, again.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Heat apricot preserves and brush over chicken.
- Taste for seasoning.
- Bake uncovered & add the dried apricots for 20-30 minutes, basting with preserves two more times, at least.
- Remove to serving platter and sprinkle with toasted pecans or finely chopped parsley.
- Serve with rice, couscous or angel-hair pasta.