Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A brightly flavored, delicious twist on a traditional dish.
- 6 large apples (use a good flavored variety, such as Granny Smith, Golden Delicious, or Russet)
- 3 tablespoons real butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, grated
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray an ovenproof dish with cooking spray.
- Core apples.
- With point of the knife, make a cut in the skin about 1/3 of the way down the apple, cutting through the skin about 1/8" deep.
- This prevents the apple from exploding during baking.
- Arrange apples in prepared dish.
- Spoon preserves into the core and dot with butter.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with lemon rind.
- Bake for 30 minutes, baste with pan juices, and bake for an additional 30 minutes (or until apples reach desired doneness).
- Serve immediately.