Recipe by Oolala
I saw this in the Star-Ledger from "Bubby's Homemade Pies" by Ron Silver and Jen Bervin. It's described as a savory take on the apple pie. It also works with Cheddar cheese.
- 1 (12 inch) ready-made double crust pie crusts
- 4 ounces thick cut hickory smoked bacon, diced
- 2 lbs apples, peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 ounces Roquefort cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Roll out the pastry and line a 12 inch pie plate with the bottom crust.
- Roll out the remaining dough for the top crust, then refrigerate both until needed.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the bacon until crispy; transfer to paper towels to drain, leaving about 3 tablespoons of the fat in the pan.
- Add the apples to the skillet and saute in the bacon fat, over low heat, for several minutes, or until the outer layer of apple softens a bit.
- Add honey, flour, lemon juice, thyme, salt and pepper to the skillet and stir.
- Stir in the bacon.
- Transfer the apple mixture into the prepared pie pan,.
- Crumble the cheese over the apples, then cover it with the second crust.
- Trim and crimp the crust, then chill the pie in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Cut several slits in the top crustm the drizzle the top with honey.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust is just blistered and blond.
- Reduce the oven to 350 degrees and bake for at least 30 minutes more.
- Cool the pie completely before cutting, at least several hours.