Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Applesauce takes the place of some butter to make this a lower-fat cake, the applesauce makes it really moist also!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom and cinnamon.
- In another bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed combine the butter with brown sugar, applesauce, vanilla and eggs until thoroughly combined; add to the flour mixture, stir until JUST until moistened.
- Stir in apples and raisins.
- Transfer into prepared baking dish.
- For the topping; combine the flour with brown sugar and cinnamon (if using) add in the melted butter; mix to combine, then add in sliced almonds; sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until the cake tests done.
- Cool completely in the pan.