Recipe by Annacia
Substituting applesauce for some of the butter or oil adds tenderness to these Apple-Pumpkin muffins while keeping them low in fat.
Top Review by Sharlene~W
Wasn't really wild about these. I was excited to try them because they looked more healthy than the type of muffins I usually bake. As I result, I had to stock my cupboard with Splenda brown sugar blend and wheat germ (2 things I have never cooked with before). They stuck to the muffin papers like crazy (should have sprayed them first) and they were rather bland. I would have liked more apple/pumpkin flavor to compensate for the other "low fat" effects of the recipe.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (or 2 eggs, slightly beaten)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk (or sour milk*)
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄8 cup packed Splenda brown sugar blend (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F.
- Lightly coat twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, pumpkin, buttermilk, applesauce, brown sugar, and oil; add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
- Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Remove from muffin cups.
- * To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.