Recipe by Tearanii
This is a recipe from ADA's Quick and Easy low-carb Cookbook for people with Diabetes.
Top Review by bill mayes
Wow I did not expect this. A Coffee cake for diabetics? How good could it be. How about GREAT! No its not to sweet like honey. You taste the fruits and the apples are a fantastic addition. Diabetic or not this will please you. Thanks for this wonderful recipe.
- 1 (18 ounce) box spice cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) box carrot cake mix
- 5 large egg whites or 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 2 ounces pecans, chopped
- 8 ounces gala apples, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- Coat a springform or bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl,combine cake mix,egg whites, water and pumpkin.
- Using an electric mixer on low speed,beat until moistened,about 30 seconds.
- Scrape sides and beat on medium speed 2 or until smooth.
- Sprinkle bottom of pan with pecans and lay out apple slices accordion fashion.
- Carefully pour batter over apples and bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Mean while,in a small saucepan,combine apple juice and corn starch and stir until completely dissolved.
- Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- When cake is done,remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Inverting onto a serving platter,remove sides and bottom of springform pan,and pour apple glaze all over.