Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Simple and yummy--this dessert is perfect for fall.
- 1 (14 ounce) package gingerbread mix, divided
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- vanilla ice cream
- Stir together 2 cups gingerbread mix and 3/4 cup water until smooth; set mixture aside.
- Stir together remaining gingerbread mix and brown sugar; cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in pecans; set aside.
- Combine apple pie filling and remaining 1/4 cup butter in a large saucepan, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes over medium heat or until thoroughly heated.
- Spoon hot apple mixture evenly into a lightly greased 11x7-inch baking dish. Spoon gingerbread mixture evenly over hot apple mixture; sprinkle with pecan mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. Serve cobbler with vanilla ice cream.
I've made this cobbler a number of times - for family, for friends, and for a dinner club. It has been well received every time. I do add apple pie spice to taste as the apple pie filling is cooking to give it flavor - otherwise it is very bland. Serve warm with ice cream is a must. Also, I serve smaller portions (which are still filling) so I get more than 8 servings. More like 12 or so.
I have been wanting to try this recipe for a while now. I loved the idea of using a gingerbread mix for the topping. However, the end result was almost terrible. I would recommend using fresh apples. I bought two cans of premium pie filling and it was just aweful and flavorless. I added apple pie spice, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg to the pie filling and it still was gross and after it finished cooking the apples just turned to mush. I ended up throwing out all the apple part and just eating the gingerbread topping. I won't be making this again and DO NOT RECOMMEND this recipe.
Made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit. I used chopped walnuts instead of pecans and it was great. I used a 9x13 pan and the same baking instructions and it turned out fine. Re-heat it just before serving, the ice cream is a MUST!