Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Sunset Magazine
- 10 -12 small green apples or 10 -12 small red apples
- 10 -12 caramel apple sticks
- 3 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons solid shortening
- 2 pieces black licorice, cut crosswise into thin slices (6 in.) (optional)
- Rinse apples, wipe dry, and firmly insert a stick into stem end of each fruit until secure.
- In a 1-quart glass measure or small deep microwave-safe bowl, combine candy and shortening.
- Place in a microwave oven and heat at half power (50%) until chips are soft, 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Stir until smooth.
- If still lumpy, return to microwave and heat for 20-second intervals until candy is smooth.
- Quickly dip apples, 1 at a time, into coating to cover, letting excess drip back into bowl.
- Set apples, sticks up, in a 10- by 15-inch pan lined with waxed paper or cooking parchment.
- If desired, make ghost faces by pressing licorice slices into soft coating. If coating on apple is too firm, use melted coating to glue licorice in place.
- If coating gets too thick, reheat it briefly in the microwave at 50% power and stir.
- Let apples stand until coating is firm to touch, at least 30 minutes at room temperature or 10 minutes if chilled.