Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
DBMNMR Recipe - Gale Gand - Update: 9/15/2006 adopted from the Recipezaar account. Original author = Mean Chef.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cooking apples (McIntosh or Granny Smith recommended)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Place the bread slices in a food processor and blend to make fresh crumbs or finely chop it up.
- Rub a 1-quart baking dish thickly with butter then sprinkle liberally with brown sugar.
- Add alternating layers of sliced apples, sugar, and bread crumbs, then repeat, ending with bread crumbs.
- Thickly sprinkle with sugar and dot with extra butter.
- Sprinkle on the water.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until well browned on the top.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
I used chopped and not sliced and my son and hubby love it!
Mine looked NOTHING like this and crispy it was not...not sure where I went wrong since I am an experienced cook and followed all directions. Presentation and soggy bread aside, the taste was very good.