Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 13 hrs
This is from the Better Homes and Garden Slow cooker book. I adapted it to what I had on hand and used the technique. It is something I had never heard of and tried. I liked it! Something different when the oven is in use. (or for summer when you do not want oven on)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 medium apple, chunked (optional, reduce apple sauce to 1/4)
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- grease well 2 -1 pint straight sided wide mouth canning jars, flour inside, set aside.
- in a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. mix well.
- in small bowl combine sugar, oil or butter, eggs, and applesauce (apples as well if using).
- add apple mix to flour mix and stir well, until all moist.
- add walnuts if using, stir.
- divide mixture into 2 glass prepared jars, cover with greased tin foil, grease side down.
- put jars into crock pot, add 1/2 c warm water to crock around jars.
- cover and cook 1/2 - 2hours on high or until long wooden skewer comes out clean.
- remove jars from cooker, let cool 10 minute.
- carefully remove breads from jars.
- serve warm.
I used chunky applesauce and no sweetener, as I'm diabetic. I crock/baked it for 2 hours and then took the lid off for the last 20 minutes. I put the mixture right into the crock, first putting some parchment paper on the bottom and then greasing the whole thing. It came out great, and using a fruit spread and butter made up for the lack of sweetener in the bread. I'll be definitely making this again! Thanks!
I finally got to make this recipe tag...and am so glad I made such a wonderful choice. I do not have any canning jars, so I had to half the recipe and cook it in a round 20-oz glass casserole dish instead. My only complaint...halving the recipe didn't make enough. I will have to buy some canning jars so that I can make the full recipe! This round I did not add any nuts, or fresh apple however; I look forward to adding some chopped pecans and fresh apple the next time I make this. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful recipe Connie. Made and reviewed for the Make My Recipe #14 Tag Game.
I made only 1/2 the recipe since I realized I didn't have any pint jars. I used a round dish instead and it turned out perfect. This recipe is quick and easy to put together and I will be making this again for a quick snack. Thanks for posting Chef1Mom. Reviewed for Spring 2008 PAC.