Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this from a recipe I found in Cooking Light (Oct. 2007). It's meant to be a side dish but i think it could easily be adapted to a vegetarian main dish. I served the leftovers, cold on a green salad with avocado and dressing and it was amazing.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 3⁄4 cup fine diced carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon red curry
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced apples
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup crushed almonds, toasted
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- garnish with chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan on a medium heat.
- When the onion is soft, add the carrot and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Stir in broth, quinoa, salt and curry and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, in another saute pan, heat butter on a medium-high heat and add diced apples to pan. allow them to saute, not stirring them too often so that they brown a little.
- When quinoa is cooked, remove from heat and stir in apples and almonds. add lemon juice to taste and garnish with cilantro.