I adapted this from a recipe I found in Cooking Light (Oct. 2007). It's meant to be a side dish but i think it could easily be adapted to a vegetarian main dish. I served the leftovers, cold on a green salad with avocado and dressing and it was amazing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3/4 cup fine diced carrot
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable stock or 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon red curry
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced apples
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup crushed almonds, toasted
- black pepper
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- garnish with chopped cilantro
- 1Heat olive oil in a sauce pan on a medium heat.
- 2When the onion is soft, add the carrot and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in broth, quinoa, salt and curry and bring to a boil.
- 4Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 5While the quinoa is cooking, in another saute pan, heat butter on a medium-high heat and add diced apples to pan. allow them to saute, not stirring them too often so that they brown a little.
- 6When quinoa is cooked, remove from heat and stir in apples and almonds. add lemon juice to taste and garnish with cilantro.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple, Almond Quinoa
Serving Size: 1 (112 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.7
- Calories from Fat 107
- Total Fat 11.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
- Sodium 70.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: