Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I adapted this recipe from Eating Well magazine. This dish can be easily prepared anytime of year you are craving BBQ. Leave out or adjust the jalapenos according to you tolerance to spice.
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil (separated)
- 1 1⁄2 cups collard greens (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 3 links turkey sausage (I used turkey brats)
- 10 slices turkey bacon
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (rinsed)
- In a large skillet, cook bacon according to package directions and crumble or chop.
- In the same skillet (or a different skillet), add one tbs. of oil and heat over medium high heat. Brown sausages turning frequently for five minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for another five to seven minutes.
- While that is cooking.whisk together barbecue, water, molasses, tomato paste, salt and pepper in a separate bowl.
- When sausages are finished cut lengthwise then slice.
- Heat the other tbs. of oil over medium heat.
- Add greens, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook until greens are wilted (about three minutes).
- Add sausage and heat until browned (about three minutes).
- Stir in bacon, beans and sauce. Cover and cook until heated through (about five minutes).