I adapted this recipe from Eating Well magazine. This dish can be easily prepared anytime of year you are craving BBQ. Leave out or adjust the jalapenos according to you tolerance to spice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil (separated)
- 1 1/2 cups collard greens (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers (chopped)
- 3 links turkey sausage (I used turkey brats)
- 10 slices turkey bacon
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (rinsed)
- 1In a large skillet, cook bacon according to package directions and crumble or chop.
- 2In the same skillet (or a different skillet), add one tbs. of oil and heat over medium high heat. Brown sausages turning frequently for five minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for another five to seven minutes.
- 3While that is cooking.whisk together barbecue, water, molasses, tomato paste, salt and pepper in a separate bowl.
- 4When sausages are finished cut lengthwise then slice.
- 5Heat the other tbs. of oil over medium heat.
- 6Add greens, garlic, and jalapeno. Cook until greens are wilted (about three minutes).
- 7Add sausage and heat until browned (about three minutes).
- 8Stir in bacon, beans and sauce. Cover and cook until heated through (about five minutes).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Anytime Spicy BBQ Baked Beans and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.0
- Calories from Fat 174
- Total Fat 19.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.1 mg
- Sodium 1023.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.4 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 24.8 g