Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a wonderful breakfast or brunch dish. I make several at one time so I can freeze some for a quick breakfast. Freeze in single portions, then reheat in the microwave or toaster oven.
- 1 (1 lb) packagefully-cooked Little Smokies sausage
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage
- 6 slices white bread (crusts removed, and cubed)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb American cheese, grated (more, if you like)
- Cut smokies in small pieces.
- Fry bulk sausage breaking into small pieces, and drain.
- Beat eggs, and add remaining ingredients.
- Mix all together and put in a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake covered for 55 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake 5-10 minutes more.
- Let set 5-10 minutes after removing, so eggs can set.
A very savory breakfast dish that is easy to prepare. Almost like a fritatta in a baking dish. I served it Christmas morning with toast and jelly. Everyone loved it. Next time, I think I''ll substitute some bacon for some of the little smokies and see how that works.
I have made this for years, and the grown kids still request it for Thanksgiving or Christmas mornings. I have never used the link sausage, only the bulk sausage. Too, I used grated cheddar cheese. One of the best things about this recipe is that it must be assembled the day before baking. Makes breakfast that much easier!
Great quick egg casserole! Actually used a box of turkey breakfast sausage and package of bacon and turned out terrific!