Recipe by justcallmetoni
Wanted to try Spice Islands Hot Chocolate but needed a way to make the calories and fat work out a bit more in my favor. Though keeping some of the chocolate makes this a wee bit of an indulgence, it certainly makes this a better option for low fat folks like me or diabetics. Have not tried the original, but I think this captures the it's flavors. Thank you Annacia for sharing your recipe and helping to create this one. :)
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 4 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon non-fat powdered milk (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 cup Cool Whip Free, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate in 1 cup of skim milk, over low heat, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the nonfat powdered dry milk breaking up any bumps. (Not required but it gives the milk a little more body.).
- Gradually add remaining milk, and the spices.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until completely heated. Add in the extracts and Splenda.
- Serve topped with Cool Whip Free and sprinkled with additional nutmeg.