Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Flavorful bite size crunchy cookies. A German tradition that's been passed down from my family. Perfect for the holiday season. These can be refrigerated and baked at any time.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon anise oil or 1⁄4 teaspoon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons liquid black coffee
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 cups flour
- Cream butter, sugars and eggs.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Roll into snakes.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes (depending on desired crunch).
This is basically the recipe I've used all my life, but it's a little misleading to say it only takes 20 minutes. You forget to take into account how long it takes to cut and place the peppernuts on cookie sheets. I can usually count on it taking an hour because I'm busy cutting and placing on the next cookie sheet the entire time the other cookie sheet is in the oven.
Thank you for posting. This is the recipe my grandmother used (anise oil) and I had lost my copy. She also added cut up gum drops once in awhile (very messy to work with, but worth it). I have also frozen the dough and used at a later date and it is still good! Thanks again!