Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
This is a very simple, very versatile dessert I made over and over again for a number of summers (this is one of my antique recipes). There are a several variations for this dessert given at the end of the recipe which will surely inspire you to even more variations. You will need to drain the fruit that goes into this creamy chiffon mixture. Be sure to use the juice or syrup for part of the water when preparing the jello. The recipe came from an ad for Pet Milk. Cooking time is actually chilling time.
- 1 (3 ounce) packagefruit-flavored Jello gelatin
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk, well chilled (1 small can)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed and drained, reserving juice (Or use other canned, fresh, or frozen fruit of choice to blend with flavor of jello, see examples be)
Directions See How It's Made
- Basic Directions: Prepare fruit-flavored jello as package directs but use only 1-1/2 cups of water. Substitute the reserved, drained fruit juice for an equal part of the water. Chill in the small bowl of electric mixer (or 1-1/2-quart bowl) until firm.
- With electric mixer at low speed and with chilled beaters, beat jello until it is broken into small pieces. Beat in the evaporated milk at high speed until mixture fills bowl.
- Fold a drained 9-ounce can of crushed pineapple into lime-flavored Angel Whip. Chill.
- Spoon orange-flavored Angel Whip into dessert glasses with 1 cup drained peach slices (fresh, frozen or canned. Chill. Or use drained mandarin orange slices.
- Fold a 10-ounce package frozen raspberries, drained, into raspberry- flavored Angel Whip. Good spooned into sponge cake dessert cups, available at the supermarket and topped with additional raspberries.
- Fold 1 package frozen, drained, strawberries into strawberry-flavored Angel Whip, chill.
- Fold 1 cup drained cut-up mixed fruit (fresh, frozen or canned) into lime-flavoredAngel Whip. Chill in a 5-cup ring mold or 8-inch square pan.
- Fold 1 pound and 4 ounces frozen cherries (pitted and well drained), into cherry flavored Angel Whip. Chill. For cola-flavored Angel Whip prepare jello with 1/2 cup water and 1 cup Coke or Pepsi, or any cola of choice.
- Make a parfait, layering chocolate wafer crumbs and lime-flavored Angel Whip into parfait glasses. Chill.
- Any flavor Angel Whip makes a good pie filling for a prepared crumb crust.