Prep 24 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This a simple and lovely dessert.
- 1 (18 ounce) package angel food cake mix
- 1 (10 ounce) packagesliced frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, chilled, divided
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 fresh strawberries, sliced and fanned for garnish
- mint leaf (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare, bake and cool cake as directed on package. Cut cake into 1-inch cubes. Drain thawed strawberries, reserving juice.
- Combine gelatin and boiling water in small bowl. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Add enough water to strawberry juice to measure 1 cup; stir into gelatin. Refrigerate until gelatin is slightly thickened. Beat gelatin until foamy.
- Beat 1 cup whipping cream until stiff peaks form in large bowl. Fold into gelatin along with strawberries.
- Alternate layers of cake cubes and strawberry mixture into 10-inch tube pan. Press lightly. Cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- Unmold cake onto serving plate. Beat remaining 1-1/2 cups whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form. Frost sides and top of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh strawberries and mint leaves.
I got this recipe from a cookbook at home and it was really good. I brought it to a blockparty and there was none left to take home. It was a hit!