Recipe by sweetcakes
This is a wonderful flop proof recipe that has three leavenings, yeast, baking powder, and soda. This recipe is from "The American Century Cookbook"..
- 1 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup very warm water (110* to 115*F)
- 5 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400*F.
- Dissolve yeast in water in small bowl and set aside.
- Sift flour with baking powder, soda, sugar, and salt into large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add buttermilk and yeast mixture and toss briskly with a fork just until dough holds together.
- Knead dough lightly on well-floured surface 1 minute. Roll to a thickness of 5/8 inch, then cut with well-floured 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheets for 15 minutes or until biscuits are puffed and pale tan. Serve at once.