1/11 Photos of Andreas Viestad's Vodka Marinated Sirloin
73 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
This was prepared on Andreas Viestad's cooking show, "New Scandinavian Cooking", and it's a bit different than you may expect of the cuisine... it's definitely more garlicky than I would have thought. And despite all the vodka, it's not boozy at all. In fact, I actually used aquavit in place of the vodka and it added even more interesting flavor. If you use a smaller roast, be sure to adjust the oven time accordingly; sirloin roast can go from perfect to too dry very quickly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs boneless sirloin tip roast
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed black peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/3 cup grain vodka (I used aquavit)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1Rub the roast with the salt and pepper and place in a plastic zipper bag. Add the parsley, 2 tablespoons of the thyme, and the garlic, then pour in the vodka and olive oil. Seal the bag and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days, turning the bag twice a day.
- 2Before cooking, let the meat stand at room temperature for 1 or 2 hours.
- 3Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- 4Remove the meat from the bag and reserve the marinade. Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat and sear the roast on all sides, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- 5Transfer the meat to a roasting pan and roast in the middle of the oven, turning once, for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 130 degrees F; and before the roast is done, pour the reserved marinade over it (you can do it when you turn the roast over, as I did -- ).
- 6When done, transfer the meat to a cutting board and let it rest, uncovered, for at least 20 minutes; set the roasting pan aside.
- 7Just before serving, pour the cooking juices into a saucepan and heat gently. Stir in the butter, season with salt and pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoons thyme. Strain the sauce and discard the herbs.
- 8Carve the roast and arrange on a platter with the sauce on the side.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andreas Viestad's Vodka Marinated Sirloin
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.1
- Calories from Fat 318
- Total Fat 35.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 162.8 mg
- Sodium 992.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 47.0 g