Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are my 4yr old daughter's favorite muffins that we make. I am posting these for the nutrition info. They are moist and not overly sweet. The recipe is very versatile. For the yogurt, I use this new ogranic yogurt from Wegmans Grocery store which is called "Super yogurt" as it has pro biotics and pre biotics but those nutrition stats wont be listed as this site probably wont recognize a specific name brand's nutritional aspects. I have made this recipe using what is listed below for the flour, flax, wheat germ mixture and I have also been successful using only 1 1/3 c whole wheat flour and 1/2c of the flax meal, wheat germ mixture. We have made them with carob chips once, chocolate chips another time and blueberries and walnuts as well; those are just our additions, but I am sure that anything would go well in these muffins.
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup mixture of ground flax seed meal, and
- wheat germ
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3⁄4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons organic skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnut oil
- 1⁄4 cup carob chips
- chocolate chips
- coarse sugar, in the raw for sprinkling on top before baking (optional if you need them sweeter)
- Blend all dry ingredients together.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and then add to the dry mixture.
- Stir just until everything is mixed; best not to overmix.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until dry when checked with toothpick in center.
These are easy to make and so good!