Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A modified version of Glamour Magazine's "Engagement Chicken". I added more lemon and cooked it on higher heat I found it to taste better this way!
- 3 lbs whole chickens
- 4 medium lemons
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt (to taste) or sea salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temperature (about 15 min) Pat dry with paper towels.
- Poke a few holes in each lemon and microwave for 40 seconds (makes the lemons more juicy).
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice from 2 of the lemons all over the chicken.
- Prick a few more holes in the full lemons. Place these and two of the halves of the squeezed lemons inside the chicken. Place them deep inside the cavity of the chicken.
- (Optional) Rub butter on the bottom (not the breast side) of the chicken.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken, inside and out, and under any parts of the skin which are only loosely attached.
- Place the chicken BREAST-SIDE down on a rack in a roasting pan, bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more. (Time based on chicken size, internal temp should be ~180°, juices should run clear).
- Continue baking if necessary.
- Let chicken cool for a 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve with juices.
This is basically my Citrus Chicken recipe. It is great! The lemon really adds pizzaz to the chicken. And, best of all, it's good for you.