This is a delightfully sweet and tangy snack or side dish made with chickpeas and potatoes. Tamarind paste is readily available in Indian grocery stores. Update based on a review - Shallots can be substituted with mild onions and is meant to be raw. This imparts a special crunchy flavor that is excellent in all Indian chaat and some Indian salads. Also remember that tamarind is a distinctive taste and if you're new to it, start with less and go by taste. Experiment and enjoy!
- Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans; place in a bowl.
- Boil water in a pan, add the diced potatoes and cook until they are soft and tender.
- Remove potatoes, drain and set aside to cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix the tamarind paste and water.
- Add the chili powder, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Pour the tamarind mixture on the garbanzo beans and add the potatoes, chopped onions and the cilantro.
- Mix well and adjust salt to taste.
- Garnish ideas: a slit green chili or a slice a tomato or a slice of lime with a sprig of mint leaves.