1/2 Photos of Aloo Channa Chaat (Tangy Potato Chickpea Snack)
This is a delightfully sweet and tangy snack or side dish made with chickpeas and potatoes. Tamarind paste is readily available in Indian grocery stores. Update based on a review - Shallots can be substituted with mild onions and is meant to be raw. This imparts a special crunchy flavor that is excellent in all Indian chaat and some Indian salads. Also remember that tamarind is a distinctive taste and if you're new to it, start with less and go by taste. Experiment and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse and drain the garbanzo beans; place in a bowl.
- 2Boil water in a pan, add the diced potatoes and cook until they are soft and tender.
- 3Remove potatoes, drain and set aside to cool.
- 4In a small mixing bowl, mix the tamarind paste and water.
- 5Add the chili powder, sugar and salt; mix well.
- 6Pour the tamarind mixture on the garbanzo beans and add the potatoes, chopped onions and the cilantro.
- 7Mix well and adjust salt to taste.
- 8Garnish ideas: a slit green chili or a slice a tomato or a slice of lime with a sprig of mint leaves.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aloo Channa Chaat (Tangy Potato Chickpea Snack)
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.9
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 447.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 8.7 g