Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce, cinnamon flavored
- 1 egg beaters 99% egg substitute (equiv. to 1 egg)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2⁄3 cups skim milk
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt.
- Beat the next six ingredients until combined, about 1 minute.
- Stir in flour mixture alternately with milk until just combined.
- Pour batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan; cool on wire rack 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
I didn't use all of the milk, I wanted a thicker batter. These were good. Very moist. I will be making these again.
Did not work for me at all. It was very promising until the milk. I wonder if there was too much because it seemed to thin the batter way too much. Even after having beaten the wet there were some lumps and it just looked unappealing. But I baked them none the less. (It was more like 18-20 cupcakes then 12.) They had a pretty bad taste. Not chocolatey and almost apple-y, but really just not much of any taste. They also had a really rubbery texture. Sorry, but I had to throw them all out. Would have been edible but just barely...Sorry.