Prep 30 mins
Cook 18 mins
One of my mother's favorite cookies. She loves them with coffee or tea at night...while my husband eats them for breakfast!
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- STREUSEL: Combine the brown sugar, flour, wheat germ, and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter to form crumbs.
- Add sliced almonds; cut in until evenly distributed.
- SHORTBREAD: Cream the butter and brown sugar until creamy.
- Add almond extract; blend well.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, and almonds; add to butter mixture in two parts.
- Mix well.
- Divide dough in half; pat each half into an 8" circle on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Spoon the steusel over the shortbread, pressing it in with your fingers.
- Cut each circle into 12 wedges; separate them slightly.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Cool for 3 minutes on the cookie sheets; remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely.