Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I'm posting this recipe for safe keeping. I got this recipe from The South Beach Diet Parties & Holidays Cookbook. Use a variety of star cutters if you have them to create a more dramatic effect. The dough is also ideal for Christmas cookies. Make Ahead: Dough can be frozen in freezer proof resealable plastic bags up to 1 month in advance. Cookies can be baked up to 1 day in advance and stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup whole almond
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup granular sugar substitute
- 1 cup trans-fat free margarine, cut into small pieces and refrigerated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 275. Spread almonds on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, transfer to a plate, and cool completely.
- Pulse almonds, whole grain and all purpose flours, sugar substitute, and a pinch of salt in a food processor until nuts are finely ground. Add margarine and pulse until margarine is incorporated. Add zest and vanilla and almond extracts; pulse until dough just begins to come together.
- Remove dough from processor to a work surface. Knead once or twice, divide in half, and form into 2 flat disks. Wrap disks and freeze for 1 hour or refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 325. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Roll out 1 disk of dough between 2 sheets of wax paper to 1/8-inch thick. Cut as many stars as possible, carefully transferring them to the baking sheets as you go. (Use a butter knife or small spatula to make transferring cut cookie dough from wax paper to baking sheet easier). Reroll and cut the scraps. (If the dough becomes too soft while cutting, wrap and chill again until firm). Repeat with the second disk.
- Bake cookies until lightly golden on edges and bottoms, rotating sheets once halfway through, 16-18 minutes. Let cool on sheets for 2-3 minutes before transferring with a spatula to wire racks to cool completely.