Recipe by Kathy(
It's a bit involved to make, but the end product is simply incredible. A very yummy dessert....
Top Review by PanNan
Yummy dessert. Impressive enough for company. I had expected this to be complicated, but it was about as easy as any two layer cake. I made a half size cake in a 11 X 7 brownie pan because we don't eat many sweets these days. It was just right. I can't believe no one has tried this since 2002! Thanks for posting, Kathy.
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- powdered sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Amaretto or 3 tablespoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 2⁄3 cup seedless raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan with foil or parchment. Grease heavily with shortening.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Put aside.
- Beat eggs on high speed until foamy (3-5 minutes).
- Gradually beat in granulated sugar.
- On low speed beat in water, 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and almond extract.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until smooth.
- Pour evenly into pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, sift powdered sugar onto a towel until evenly coated.
- When cake is done, IMMEDIATELY reverse pan onto towel. Peel off foil. Roll up cake and towel together from narrow end. Cool thoroughly on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, whip heavy cream, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla, and amaretto until stiff.
- Finely chop 1 cup almonds and fold into half of the whipped cream.
- Reserve remaining whipped cream in refrigerator.
- Stir raspberry jam until smooth and spreadable.
- Unroll cooled cake. Spread on jam.
- Spread whipped cream/almond mixture on top of jam, leaving 1" border at one end.
- Carefully roll cake, starting from opposite end.
- Place on serving plate, seam-side down. Frost with remaining whipped cream. Decorate with remaining 1/4 cup almonds. Serve immediately or refrigerate.