Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicate, flavorful cookies. Keep in the freeze and slice and bake just what you want.
Make and share this Almond-Orange Shortbread recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml unsalted butter, unsalted, at room temp
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- 3.69 ml almond extract
- 2.46 ml salt
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour, leveled in measure
- 1 orange, zest of, grated (about 2 teaspoons)
- 177.44 ml sliced almonds
- In a mixer or food processor bowl, beat butter, sugar, almond extract, and salt until smooth.
- With mixer on low speed, add flour and orange zest; mixt until dough forms.
- With a wooden spoon, rubber spatula, or your hands, gently mix in almonds.
- Cut piece of waxed paper--12" X 6".
- Roll dough into log shape (12" long by 2 1/2" wide and 1" thick. Place on waxed paper and wrap.
- Freeze until firm, at least 1 hour and up to 3 months.
- (If freezing longer than one day, wrap log again in double layers of plastic film.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove dough from freezer.
- With a sharp knife, slice into 1/4" thick slices; place on ungreased baking sheet at leat 1" apart.
- Bake until edges just begin to turn golden, about 20 minutes.
- DO NOT OVERBAKE.
- Cool 5 minutes on sheet; transfer to a rack to cool completely.
This is a very sophisticated cookie! Great for tea time, wedding parties or special events. The slivered almonds provide a lot of great crunchiness and the orange zest gives flavor. Not a too sweet shortbread cookie, but it has a very smooth, creamy texture inside. It is similar to a cookie you would find at a bakery! I am very impressed and know that I will repeat this recipe in the future! I will double the orange zest for a more prominant orange flavor. I got a yield of 60 cookies. You do need to keep a watchful eye when baking and NOT OVERBAKE. I found that 15 minutes in a 325 degree oven was just right. A great little shortbread cookie! Prepared for the 2008 Comfort Food event in the Photo Forum. Caroline, thanks for sharing this recipe.
A delicious cookie - I sprinkled some confectioner's sugar on top. I will make these many times, I am sure.