Prep 12 hrs
Cook 0 mins
Based on a recipe in Jennifer Cornbleet's book, Raw Food Made Easy. She says, "Homemade almond milk is more nutritious than boxed nondairy milks." I pour it over my breakfast granola. Prep and cook times include the 8 to 12 hours required to pre-soak the almonds; afterward, this goes together in minutes.
- SOAK ALMONDS:.
- Soak almonds 8 to 12 hours beforehand. 1 cup of almonds yields 1 1/2 cups soaked. To soak: place almonds in a mason jar. Fill with cool water, screw on the lid, and soak at room temperature; drain. Soaked almonds keep for five days.
- SOAK DATES:.
- Soak dates 10 to 30 minutes in a bowl with enough water to cover. Drain well and use immediately.
- TO MAKE THE ALMOND MILK:.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the water and the almonds, dates, and optional vanilla in a blender. Blend on high speed until very smooth.
- Add the remaining cup of water and blend until smooth.
- Place a fine-mesh strainer over a medium bowl and pour the almond mixture through it.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir and press the pulp that is caught in the strainer to extract as much milk as possible. Alternatively, use a sprout bag to strain the milk.
- Discard the pulp from the strainer.
- Transfer milk to a sealed container and store in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- It will separate, so shake well before using.
This recipe makes for a VERY NICE TASTING MILK, & it is GREAT OVER A GRANOLA! However, let me tell you, I also found the date-&-almond pulp to be very tasty when mixed in with a bowl of hot oatmeal & a little brown sugar! Thanks for AN OUTSTANDING KEEPER! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my Raw Food partners in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap 8]
So yummy with the dates and vanilla.....very fortifying and very easy to make (especially with a good blender)....no more commercially-processed almond milk for me!
This is really creamy and good. I used more smaller soft Parnoosh dates and soaked them from the full 30 minutes. I used almonds with their skins that I had already soaked in the fridge over night. I like this version a lot so I would make it again for sure.