Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The polenta gives this cake a lovely moist texture.
- 8 ounces butter, softened
- 8 ounces superfine sugar
- 8 ounces ground almonds
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest
- 2 lemons
- 4 ounces polenta
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
For the syrup
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 lemons, juice
- 6 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl and using an electric hand whisk or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, then add the ground almonds and combine.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Next, add the lemon juice and zest, polenta, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Spoon the mixture into a 9in round cake tin (not loose bottomed, 2in deep, lightly buttered and lined with baking parchment) and level out with the back of a spoon.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for 1 hour 10 mins or until the cake is firm to the touch and a metal skewer comes out clean.If the cake appears to be browning too much towards the end of the cooking time, cover the top loosely with aluminium foil.
- When the cake is nearly ready, make a syrup by gently heating the lemon juice, zest and the sugar until the sugar has dissolved, then bubble the mixture for a couple of minutes until slightly syrupy.
- When the cake is cooked, take it out of the oven and drizzle two-thirds of the warm syrup over the top of the cake while it is still in the tin.
- Leave the cake to cool before turning out and slicing.
- Serve drizzled with a little of the extra syrup.