Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bush tomato (Australian Native food) can taste slightly bitter if the tomatoes are old so a good tip is to serve the scones with cheddar cheese and chutney. Akudjura is an Aboriginal name for bush tomatoes.
- 4 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk (approximately)
- 1 (8 ounce) cup tomatoes, finely chopped (bush tomatoes)
- 1 pinch salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Add salt and baking powder to the flour.
- Rub the fat (butter) into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add bush tomato and mix through.
- Gradually add the milk, a little at a time, until you have a soft dough.
- Knead for a few minutes.
- Cut into scones and rest for 10 minutes.
- With a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones with a little milk and bake for approximately 20 minutes at 200° C or until brown on the top.