Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From our local newspaper, an unusual chilled bread soup with garlic, almonds and grapes.
- 2 cups day-old white bread, crusts removed, broken into pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups blanched almonds
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 1⁄2 cups ice water, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine or 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups green seedless grapes, cut in half
- Soak the bread in cold water and squeeze gently.
- Place the bread, almonds, garlic and salt in the processor or blender with one cup of water.
- Process well to make a very smooth mixture.
- Add the vinegar.
- With the blender or processor running, add the oil in a slow stream as if to make mayonnaise and continue to blend until the mixture is a smooth cream.
- Refrigerate until the cream is very cold.
- When ready to serve, stir in the remaining iced water.
- Adjust the seasoning by adding more salt and lemon juice.
- Float the grapes on top.