Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
I'm a little obsessed with the possibility of moving to Ecuador. This is a recipe using the tree tomato which looks like a roma tomato, but pointier. From: http://laylita.com/recipes/2008/03/10/tree-tomato-aji/
- 5 fresh tree tomatoes (tamarillo) or 5 frozen tree tomatoes (tamarillo)
- 2 aji bell peppers (serranos or red chilies or habaneros) or 2 hot peppers (serranos or red chilies or habaneros)
- 2 tablespoons white onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- If using fresh tree tomatoes peel them, boil them for about 5 minutes to make it easier to peel them.
- If using frozen tree tomatoes, defrost them over night in the fridge, then cut them in half and scoop out all the insides.
- Blend the tree tomatoes with the hot peppers (seeded and deveined if you want it very mild, you can always save a few seeds and add them in if it’s too mild).
- Transfer the blended mix of tree tomatoes and hot peppers to a small sauce pan, add the water (you can add more if you want a more liquid sauce) and cook on medium heat for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt to taste.
- Serve warm or cold.