Prep 5 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Soft and succulent....can be had as part of your meal or as an any time snack! Serve them with raw onion rings anf fresh lime Prep time includes marination time of 4 hrs and 50 mins.
- 6 pieces chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste (1/2 inch piece fresh ginger + 6 cloves garlic : grind to a paste)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cream
- 1⁄4 cup cashew nuts paste
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon chopped green chili
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (Garam Masala)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 pinches chat masala (Chaat Masala)
- Clean and wash the chicken legs and make incisions.
- Apply ginger garlic paste and keep aside for 20 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix white pepper, fresh cream, cashewnut paste, egg yolk, chopped green chilli, garam masala (recipe#40293) and salt.
- Add this marinade to the chicken and refrigerate for 4 1/2 hours.
- Heat oven to medium and place chicken legs on a roasting rack.
- Bake chicken for 12 minutes.
- Take out chicken and baste it with ghee/clarified butter and further grill for 8 minutes.
- Turn drumsticks once, midway, while grilling Remove, sprinkle with chaat masala (recipe#47560) and serve hot.
4 1/4 stars. Quite flavourful. I used bone in breast & bone in leg with thy and cut it down accordingly for 2. I used regular freshly ground black pepper instead of white. Yogurt like another reviewer rather than the cream and cashews. No green chili as we don't like hot spicy. I used butter rather than ghee and put paprika on top instead of the chat masala. Ate atop Afghani Lamb and Rice Dish, with yogurt, a fresh Afghan salad I will be posting and we squeezed lemon on top at the table (low table where we sit on the floor) Sunnah.
I doubled this recipe and made it for lunch this afternoon for the Pick Your Chef contest! Once again, Auntie Honeybee, I have to say a BIG thank you from my mom and bro who finished all the 12 pieces of this chicken in one meal! They LOVED it! I did substitute the white pepper with black pepper since I'd run out of it completely and the fresh cream with low-fat plain yoghurt. I also made a paste of the green chillies instead of chopping it as it was easier to add it this way to the marinade. Since my mom and bro. are cutting down on fatty foods, I had to substuitute the cashewnut paste with low-fat yoghurt. I did not use ghee/oil at all in this recipe, so that made it an instant favourite of my bro's who is really huge and told me he could eat this guilt-free;) (Not to mention that he grabbed my mango smoothie while munching these chicken drumsticks down! LOL). Next time, I will be marinating this overnight so as to let the flavours blend even more beautifully and bring out the taste even more of the chicken. I did add a pinch of red food colour to the marinade to give the chicken pieces the grilled red colour my bro. and mom simply adore:) Thanks for a good afternoon meal from my mom and bro!