Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This dish is very popular in El Salvador during the holidays. You take the squash out of the cooking liquid and pour hot milk over it and eat it as a soup. I do not care to eat it that way but I do love eating the squash plain right out of the cooking liquid. The dish gives of a wonderful aroma and lasts for many hours after cooking has ended.
- 2 small acorn squash
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar (or piloncillo)
- 2 cinnamon sticks (broken in half lengthwise)
- 4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups water
- Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Slit each half into 1/8's.
- Place the squash, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, cloves and water in a large pot or crock pot. Cook on low for 4 hours.