Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Achiote powder mixed with other spices and herbs can be turned into a paste to marinate and give a smoky flavor to meats, fish and poultry. This makes enough marinade for about one pound of meat.
- 2 limes, juice of
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ground achiote (or annatto) or 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle adobo sauce (optional)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Whisk lime juice, garlic, achiote, oregano, cumin, brown sugar, adobo sauce, wine vinegar and oil until well blended.
- Add marinade to a ziplock bag with chicken, pork or beef; seal bag and turn to coat. Marinade for at least 3 hours or overnight for more flavor.
- Season meat with salt and pepper before cooking.