Recipe by AcadiaTwo
I love eggplant and I decided to make a layered eggplant side dish without the breading that one typically sees with this type of presentation. I use a square baking dish for this treat.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Loved it. That being said, I was out of mozzarella cheese (used it to make a cream sauce for some gnocchi to go along side this recipe) so I used fat free cottage cheese which made my end result kind of like a veggie lasagna with no noodles :) So yummy. I obviously didn't get all of the moisture out of the eggplant as it was swimming upon being baked. . .I just dumped out the water and it was good to go. I used homemade marinara sauce Recipe #3445 which had mushrooms in it (nice touch as well). YUM. Shared the leftovers with our neighbors too. Made for Veggie Swap Feb 2010.
- 2 tablespoons butter (or margarine)
- 1 eggplant (medium sized)
- 8 ounces marinara sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese (fresh)
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice eggplant cross wise into desired thickness. (I cut it in 1/8 am inch slices / not critical).
- Place slices on paper towels and sprinkle with salt to help remove the extra moisture for about 15 minutes.
- Use more paper towels and press each slice to remove moisture.
- In a skillet, saute eggplant slices for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add a layer of sauteed eggplant slices to the baking dish, and
- place a dollop of marinara sauce over each slice.
- Then top each slice with a tablespoon worth of mozzarella.
- Repeat these steps until the whole eggplant is sauteed and layered in the dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes.