Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
bake in a square pan (8x8 or 9x9)
Make and share this A Date With Rum Cake (Vegan) recipe from Food.com.
- Chop dates finely until you have 1 cup, then add to them enough rum to saturate them (they oughtn't to be swimming in it, unless that suits your fancy).
- Mix together the applesauce and baking powder in a small bowl then set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine ingredients from flour to salt and set aside.
- Add to the bowl containing the flour mixture the applesauce mixture, dates, oranges, oil and soy milk.
- Spoon batter into pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy!
Loved it. I had to take away one star from what was really a five star cake because I did have a problem with the recipe. Once all of the ingredients were mixed together, the batter was very, very thick and was so dry that I it did not resemble cake batter. So, I added soy milk until it turned into a batter (maybe 1/4 of a cup, could have been more). I was very surprised that we couldn't taste the mandarin oranges at all. Next time I would add some walnuts. I dusted the top with powdered sugar and served to guests. It got rave reviews. I would make this again for sure. Great ingredients for serving around the winter holidays. Thanks for posting.