Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From 5/16/02 show.
- butter, for grilling
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1⁄3 lb havarti with caraway, thinly sliced
- 1 vine-ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 -5 blades fresh chives (snipped or chopped)
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄3 lb sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 thin slices baked ham
- 1 small mcintosh apple, thinly sliced
- 4 slices crusty white bread
- 1⁄3 lb gruyere, thinly sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves, from bulk bin of produce department
- 2 water-packed artichoke hearts, drained and sliced (Reserve the remainder of a small can for a salad topper later in the week)
- salt and pepper
- Heat a nonstick griddle pan over medium high heat.
- Wipe grill with butter nestled in paper towel.
- Add 4 slices bread.
- Cover bread with thin slices of cheese.
- Cover pumpernickel and Havarti grilled cheese with sliced tomato and chives.
- Cover cheddar and whole wheat grilled cheese with 2 slices of ham per sandwich and some sliced apple.
- Cover the crusty white bread-and-Gruyere sandwiches with spinach leaves and thinly sliced artichokes seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Make 2 sandwiches at a time and transfer to a warm plate in low oven.
- Cut sandwiches corner to corner and serve a platter of mixed grilled sandwiches with your homemade soup.