Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe that has been in my family for many years. It is a very simple recipe. Everyone loves it and it is can be made in the oven or a crock pot; so we bring it to potlucks a lot! Always a hit!
- Brown the bacon & let it cool. Some of the bacon grease may be saved and added in with the hamburger if you choose too.
- Cut or break the bacon into bite size pieces.
- While bacon is cooling brown the hamburger with the chopped onion and pepper, then drain of the grease if needed.
- Add the bacon (and bacon grease if you choose to) to the hamburger.
- Mix together the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Stir this in to the hamburger/bacon mixture.
- Stir in all the cans of beans.
- Bake in large baking dish in 350 degree oven for 1 hour or in your crock pot on high about 3-4 hours.
- A few hints for everyone. Any leftovers may be frozen, so you may enjoy at a later time without the prep work. You may also use your own favorite beans instead of those suggested in the recipe -- lima beans, pork and beans, red beans, northern beans, etc. Sometimes, depending on how many people I am serving, I will use 1 1/2 lbs. of hamburger and an extra can or 2 of beans and it is always just as good.
This is the best 3-bean hot dish...very easy to put together and it tastes delicious!!
This is one of our family favorites!!! We usually make this for all family get togethers. Thanks for posting!!!